Monday, September 15, 2008

Please, please, please...

Please tell me it's not true. Tell me she didn't do it...and won't do it again. Please tell me it's just her teeth.

Olivia's daycare provider thinks she bit one of the other kids today. She didn't see it happen, but there was a suspicious bruise...and Olivia is the only possible culprit. Please tell me it isn't true. I don't want my child to be a biter. I know she is vivacious, and full of spunk (those are the positive ways to put it)...I can accept that she hits (we are working on it)...but biting? Please not biting.

I feel really sad about this tonight, and I don't even know that she did it for sure. I mean, kids get kicked out of daycares for this kind of behavior! People don't want playdates with a biter!!! I know I'm probably over-reacting, but this really bothers me. She is teething MEGA this week...3 molars at once. Perhaps this is the culprit. Yes, yes, that's it...it has to be, RIGHT?

Who else has had biters? What did you do?

**Update**
Okay, so I chilled out a bit! I actually got to talk to the other mom at daycare today (she is actually a friend from way back) and she was totally not concerned about it at all. It actually happened last week too and not yesterday. I feel much better about it, but still--what have you guys done?

4 comments:

Miss said...

I REALLY would encourage you to not be too upset about this. If you knew she was biting and just shrugged your shoulders at it...then we would have a problem! But, kids will bite, hit, scream, run away (I dont mean from home...I mean away from you into the middle of the parking lot when you tell them to stop...), sass, ignore, defy, lie, and prob. a few more things I wont depress you with.
This is not b.c we are bad parents, or they are bad kids. Its b.c they are HUMAN.
Whatever her inentions were for biting, I can not say...but just talk to her about it. She undersands more than you realize.
Make sure to be watching for it when you are with her and prepare anyone else watching her to pay attention too. Decide what you think is the best way to handle it (I dont know her personalitly enough...but I have 3 differernt ones so far, so if you email me with more specifics I could possibly offer some advice)

=) your child is not the first and is not the last to bite someone!=)

Marilyn Bergloff said...

OH,I feel so bad for you Ehlan. I don't like it when teachers, daycare providers, etc. allude to the fact that your child has done something terrible, however, they didn't see it happen. GRRRR, that gets to me. But on a happier note, you know Miss Bridgit, she was a biter (can you believe it) mostly to her sister (Sarah), and she turned out beautiful and loving, tender, and would not hurt a human being. Little Olivia will too. And if she did bite, does the daycare provider know what caused Olivia to bite. Did the other little child, hit her, bit her,took a toy away from her. You don't even know what went on, and neither does your provider. GRRRR!!! This grandma, is out to save little Olivia!!! Glad that you chilled out and feel better. you are a great Mother, and everything will be fine for little Olivia. HUGS

Sarah said...

"We Have a Biter...."

I uttered these words when Annika was about 15 months old. It was an ugly phase that fortunately lasted only a couple of weeks.

You will not believe how many people told me, "Bite her back! That's what I did and my kid never bit again." Let me know if you go this route and if it works for you.

I tried a different route....I "tested" her constantly by trying to take toys away from her (this is when she would bite). Everytime she came at me with those fangs, I said, "No bite! Time out!" and put her in her crib. I think one day she got like 30 time-outs. I counted. Maybe she did, too: she quit biting!

Becca said...

Hey! I'm sure you don't know that I check your blog occasionally...I guess I'm a lurker ;). Anyway, my 3 year old bit a kid once- the child of a VERY protective, 1st time mom- I wondered if we would ever see them again. My biter left a lovely bruise on the little girl's cheek (ouch)! However, your karma catches up with you, and a few monthes later my child was bitten hard enough to draw blood by a boy at the YMCA. With a few years perspective on the whole thing, I think being relaxed about the whole thing is the best way to respond. It will probably happen only once or twice and you'll be done with the phase. Also, we did give our girlie a little bite on the arm (very gently) to try to communicate how much potential pain she was causing. I think she caught on...
Anyway, I'm glad to see you're doing well! Take care!